Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thoughts on remembrance

This summer, Ben and I had the opportunity to visit the Netherlands with his Dad, Mom, brother, and sister. Since both Ben and my grandparents immigrated to Canada from the Netherlands, we were able to explore our roots and a history we had only previously heard about.

One of the things we did in the Netherlands was visit the Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery and Memorial. As one interested in history, I expected that I would find the site interesting and informative. What I didn't necessary expect was the emotion I felt when walking through the rows and rows of graves.

The reality of the lives lost during WWII and other wars can sometimes fail to fully register when living in a country like Canada. I have learned about the losses in school, and I have heard wartime stories from my grandparents, but to actually see the final resting place of so many people -- many of them younger than myself -- was something altogether different.


While a sombre experience, visiting the war memorial was one of the highlights of the trip for me. Should I ever return to the Netherlands, I will visit the war cemetery again. The visit this summer changed my perception of Remembrance Day this year, and I hope and pray that I will remember more deeply and more often than just November 11 in the years ahead.



No comments:

Post a Comment